The Motor Vehicle Act 1988 gives provision to apply for recording a change of residence address of registered owner in the certificate of registration of the motor vehicle.


  • Apply for recording the change in residence (within 14 days of address changed) in the certificate of registration of a motor vehicle of the registered owner of the vehicle in Form 33
  • Pay appropriate fee as specified in rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989

Documents required

  • Application in Form 33
  • Certificate of registration
  • Proof of new address
  • Valid insurance certificate
  • Pollution under control certificate
  • No Objection Certificate from financier (in case of hypothecation)*
  • Smart card fee*
  • Attested cop of PAN card or Form 60 and Form 61(as applicable) *
  • Chassis & Engine Pencil Print*
  • Signature Identification of owner*


  • The Motor Vehicles Act 1988 (Section 49 of Chapter IV)
  • The Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 (Rule 59)
  • State transport official websites

Documents marked with asterisk (*) may be required in some states.